Monday, February 21, 2011

predicting the argument

Argument starters:

Predestination.

Free-will.

Creation.

Evolution.

Baptism.

Roman Catholicism.

Abortion.

You mention any of those things in mixed company (mixed being those of varying political, religious and social leanings) and you will inevitably find yourself embroiled in a tasty little debate.

I am, unfortunately, one of the worst culprits of this disease. By God's grace, I am beginning to win the battle more and more and someday, hopefully, I will no longer engage in fruitless debates.

More and more I continue to turn the conversation back to the realities of Scripture and the truth of the Gospel. It's not that I don't have thoughts about the truths of predestination, the goodness of creation, the abuses of the Roman church and the horrors of abortion. I have lots of things to say about them. But not in a barely coherent "conversation" about such things. No one ever goes away from those things renewed in the Gospel.

I saw the inklings of one yesterday and attempted to calm the breaches by encouraging the folks to turn to Scripture and the church fathers for their opinions rather than simply stating that God could "never" do this or that. Some of those things are stated clearly in Scripture as something God does, in fact, do.

The discussion bore on past the comment and my advice will likely be unheeded. But, for their sake, I hope they do spend more time in the Word than in arguments. I know what it has done to me and I hope it does the same for them and you.

Be quick to listen and slow to speak. Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.

-joe

No comments: