Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Joseph Hart


I began looking around for information on Joseph Hart, the guy who wrote "Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy," and stumbled upon this prayerful hymn. Considering how often I am moved in my Spirit, I think it may be good for me to read this once (or more) a day. I nearly cried...yeah. I know.

O for a Glance of Heavenly Day

O for a glance of heavenly day,
To take this stubborn heart away,
And thaw, with beams of love divine,
This heart, this frozen heart of mine.

The rocks can rend; the earth can quake;
The seas can roar; the mountains shake:
Of feeling, all things show some sign,
But this unfeeling heart of mine.

To hear the sorrows Thou hast felt,
O Lord, an adamant would melt:
But I can read each moving line,
And nothing moves this heart of mine.

Thy judgments, too, which devils fear—
Amazing thought! unmoved I hear;
Goodness and wrath in vain combine
To stir this stupid heart of mine.

But something yet can do the deed;
And that dear something much I need:
Thy Spirit can from dross refine,
And move and melt this heart of mine.


His other hymns are equally good. You can check a few out here and a few more here.

-joe

2 comments:

Nigel said...

I like that.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.