Wednesday, February 10, 2010

the absurdity of my prayers

I've noticed something strange lately in my prayer life. It has been going on for, most likely, my entire life as a Christian but I just realized how weird it is.

It goes something like this:

Yesterday I received an email letting me know about a situation in Haiti involving several folks that attend Christ's Covenant, whom I've never met personally. It gave some details about specific needs in the area, needs of the folks serving and some info on return flights.

Immediately I thought "I should really spend some time in prayer about this." Then I went right back to reading the rest of my email.

Minutes later I realize that I just thought of praying about someone, but I never actually did it. It wasn't because I was dealing with an urgent matter, or was interrupted, or had something else to pray about. I simply didn't take time to actually pray about the situation.

This happens much more often than I'd like to admit. I wonder if I'm alone with this problem or if you, too, suffer from an absurd prayer life?

Incidentally, if you think of it, please pray for the folks from my church down in Haiti and for the folks they'll be ministering to. (That means stop reading and pray, you really don't have anything better to do. I promise.)

-joe

No comments: