Wednesday, December 16, 2009

been reading jeremiah

I've been reluctant over the years to read Jeremiah. I tend to be melancholy and depressed, so hanging out with a guy whose message is gloomy and who feels the weight of the people of Israel has not been high on my priority list.

However, in light of recent events, I cannot help but be drawn to this great prophetic voice. I have particularly felt the weight of chapter 15:16.

Your words were found, and I ate them,
     and your words became to me a joy
     and the delight of my heart,
for I am called by your name,
     O Lord, God of hosts.


The Scriptures have become sweeter and more joyful than I have ever found them, and this during what I would have thought to be a terribly trying time. God is ever merciful with the Spirit that dwells within me.

I hope to talk about the issue at hand in the coming weeks, so that you all will know what it is that I am referring to, but I haven't yet found words for it.

-joe

No comments: