Thursday, October 22, 2009

great ideas

Yesterday afternoon, shortly after posting my blog, I had a stupendous idea for today's post. But, now, I can't remember it in the slightest. Not even an inkling. I hate it when that happens.

So, instead, I'm going to post something to do with forgetfulness. Because we are people and we forget. A lot. Everyday.

I've been told by some that I have a gift for memorizing Scripture. I try to take the compliment well, but usually it eats me up inside. I might be a little better at remembering things than some, but in reality the reason I remember a lot of Scripture is because I spend a lot of time there. A lot. Everyday.

I try and try to memorize and pack away passages. Sometimes I do it systematically, sometimes I do it to remember something that is important to me personally, and sometimes I do it because it is pragmatic (long passages for sermons.)

And yet, I forget things that are in the Bible all the time. A lot. Everyday.

So, my encouragement for you is not to be discouraged when someone "knows" more Scripture than you, but to become diligent about reading and memorizing Scripture. It is good for you. Make a practice of it. Team up with somebody. Make a goal and attain it. (Set the goal low at first, don't try and memorize the entire book of Hebrews...just the first four verses.) Do it a lot. Everyday.

And don't be discouraged when you forget. And don't be discouraged when you can't remmember a verse, chapter or book. And don't be discouraged if you quote something amiss or attribute it to the wrong person. It's ok. Really, it is. Instead, use those instances to press on towards a greater understanding of God through the Scriptures. Do it a lot. Everyday.

And remember why you are doing it:

Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,

I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.

I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.

You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
who wander from your commandments.

This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise gives me life.

Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
for it is ever with me.

Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore I hate every false way.

The unfolding of your words gives light;
it imparts understanding to the simple.

Let my soul live and praise you,
and let your rules help me.

From Psalm 119 (which is all about God's Word...maybe you should chunk down some if it this week.)

-joe

No comments: