Sunday, March 9, 2008

death...one of the surest things

There are only two (to my knowledge) who have never tasted death. Elijah and Enoch are both recorded in Scripture as having been caught up to heaven before they died. And there are those who will be alive at the Lord's coming (even so, Lord come quickly). For the rest, there will be a day when death will come.

Today a great lady of our church passed away to be with the Lord forever. I knew at 7:30 this morning. It didn't hit home until midway through this song (which I was leading). I had to hand the mic off to the pastor. The tears flowed freely as I celebrated and mourned Beth Karn.

Here are the lyrics:

Jesus, keep me near the cross;
there a precious fountain,
free to all, a healing stream,
flows from Calvary's mountain.

Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross,
be my glory ever,
till my raptured soul shall find
rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
love and mercy found me;
there the bright and morning star
sheds its beams around me.
(Refrain)

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
bring its scenes before me;
help me walk from day to day
with its shadow o'er me.
(Refrain)

Near the cross I'll watch and wait,
hoping, trusting ever,
till I reach the golden strand
just beyond the river.

Hallelujah and amen!

-joe

No comments: