Monday, December 3, 2007

one book11

Despite the fact that I'd love to recommend lots of books (I can think of at least 15 I've read this year) I am only going to recommend one. That's right. Just one. And I've only recently read it (finished it just minutes ago).

The book? Mark Dever's The Gospel and Personal Evangelism. It is simple. It is short. It is powerful.

I could spend lots of time talking about other great books by Piper, Edwards, Owen, Lewis, Sproul or Carson. I could talk about my love of the books and resources from the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. But, no matter how great and inspiring these books are, I think Dever's has the most practical implication for everyone. (I could probably argue for Don't Waste Your Life, too).

10 reasons you should get this book...

10. It is short. Really, 108 pages with the Foreword, Intro and Appendix. Less than 100 pages in the actual book.

9. It is cheap. From $5.32...you can't beat it.

8. It is practical. What is more practical than learning about the Gospel and how to tell people about it?

7. Great endorsements. John MacArthur, J.I. Packer, Randy Newman, Thabiti Anyabwile, Robert Coleman, Johnny Hunt, John Folmar, David Thomas, J. Mack Stiles. Seriously...those are some pretty big props.

6. the Foreword. C.J. Mahaney writes in the foreword

"If you, like me, have walked through entire days unconcerned and unaware of the lost sinners all around you, or if you desire to share the gospel but are unsure how to build a relationship or start a conversation, The Gospel and Personal Evangelism will encourage and equip you."

5. No theological jargon. I love studying hard to read stuff...but this is easy. No big, unknown, need a dictionary words. Dever uses normal language to communicate timeless truth.

4. Something for everyone. Whether you side with the Reformed, the Liberal or the Emergent...you will benefit from something in this book.

3. Useful chapters.
Chapter titles:
Why Don't We Evangelize?
What Is the Gospel?
Who Should Evangelize?
How Should We Evangelize?
What Isn't Evangelism?
What Should We Do After We Evangelize?
Why Should We Evangelize?

2. Cuts to the quick. Gems like this "When we don't sufficiently consider what God has done for us in Christ...we lose the heart to evangelize."

1. Cause I said it was awesome...the only criterion that should matter.

So, go buy it. Seriously. For you and the countless others to whom we should be declaring the Gospel, to the glory of God.

-joe

No comments: